Nothing says “summer” like biting into a big, juicy slice of watermelon. Since tomorrow, August 3, is National Watermelon Day, we think it’s the perfect time to introduce you to a more grown up watermelon recipe. It’s not that we have anything against biting into a big, juicy slice of melon, but should your occasion call for something a little less messy, here’s a great, summery alternative!
This colorful savory watermelon salad is most beautiful when served in our round Calabash serving set. The shape of the bowl mimics the shape of the watermelon in a cute way and the rich brown tone of the Acacia hardwood offsets the reds, pinks and greens in this salad beautifully! This dish serves a crowd, so it’s great to bring to a picnic or party. If you’re making an extra-large batch and need a bigger bowl, try one of our larger Mason Cash Mixing bowls!
Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Salad
– 1 medium watermelon, cubed (about 15 cups) Not sure how? Here’s a tutorial
– 1 red onion, thinly sliced
– ½ cup fresh mint, minced
– 3 cucumbers, cubed
– 8 oz crumbled feta cheese
– 1 heaping tsp cayenne pepper
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 2 tablespoons lime juice
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– Sea salt, to taste
- In the bottom of your serving bowl, whisk together the spices
- Add the lime juice, vinegar, and olive oil, whisk to combine
- Add in cucumbers, red onion, mint, and feta. Stir to combine well.
- Toss the watermelon in with everything else.
- Taste for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper, lime juice or cayenne if necessary
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
One of my favorite things about this salad is how easy it is to change up. Sometimes I add tomatoes, sometimes I leave out the feta, and sometimes I use basil instead of mint. No matter what variation I use, it tastes great! This salad is as delicious as it is easy, and it’s a great way to turn a classic taste of summer into something a little more sophisticated! What’s your favorite way to eat watermelon?