Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Check out this wonderful recipe from our Facebook friend Sherry! She was kind enough to share it with us during our February Facebook contest.
- 12 slices of bread, any kind
- 2 packages cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/3 c maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp butter
French Toast Casserole:
1. Spray 9 X 13 inch dish with Pam (Our size four baking dish might just do the trick…) Cut or tear bread into cubes and arrange in the bottom of dish
2. Cut up cream cheese into 1 in cubes. Drop the cream cheese cubes over the top of the bread. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the top.
3. In mixing bowl, combine 12 eggs, 2 cups milk, 1/3 cup maple syrup. Pour this mixture over the bread, cream cheese and blueberries. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate, then warm up before serving.
1. Stir together 1 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp cornstarch in a medium sauce pan. Add 1 cup water and stir until smooth. Stir well so cornstarch won’t be clumpy. Heat to boiling and stir 2-3 minutes until thickened. 2. Add 1 cup blueberries, simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until blueberries start to burst. Don’t let them all burst. I like some of the blueberries whole.
3. Turn heat off the blueberry sauce and stir in 1 Tbls butter. Store in plastic or glass container and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. The next morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take casserole out of the refrigerator. Place covered cassrole in a 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until top is a golden brown and the center is set.
5. While the casserole is baking, you can heat up the blueberry sauce on top of the oven or microwave until warm. Serve over top of casserole.
6. Prep time: 30 min to put everything together 8-24 hours – refrigerate several hours or overnight until bread is soaked through with egg, milk mixture. Cook time: 1 hour
You can also make this recipe with strawberries. If you are feeding two or three people you might consider cutting the recipe in half.