Nothing says “summer” like biting into a big, juicy slice of watermelon. Since tomorrow, August 3, is National Watermelon Day, we think it’s the perfect time to introduce you to a more grown up watermelon recipe. It’s not that we have anything against biting into a big, juicy slice of melon, but should your occasion call for something a little less messy, here’s a great, summery alternative!
This colorful savory watermelon salad is most beautiful when served in our round Calabash serving set. The shape of the bowl mimics the shape of the watermelon in a cute way and the rich brown tone of the Acacia hardwood offsets the reds, pinks and greens in this salad beautifully! This dish serves a crowd, so it’s great to bring to a picnic or party. If you’re making an extra-large batch and need a bigger bowl, try one of our larger Mason Cash Mixing bowls!
Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Salad
– 1 medium watermelon, cubed (about 15 cups) Not sure how? Here’s a tutorial
– 1 red onion, thinly sliced
– ½ cup fresh mint, minced
– 3 cucumbers, cubed
– 8 oz crumbled feta cheese
– 1 heaping tsp cayenne pepper
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 2 tablespoons lime juice
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– Sea salt, to taste
- In the bottom of your serving bowl, whisk together the spices
- Add the lime juice, vinegar, and olive oil, whisk to combine
- Add in cucumbers, red onion, mint, and feta. Stir to combine well.
- Toss the watermelon in with everything else.
- Taste for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper, lime juice or cayenne if necessary
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
One of my favorite things about this salad is how easy it is to change up. Sometimes I add tomatoes, sometimes I leave out the feta, and sometimes I use basil instead of mint. No matter what variation I use, it tastes great! This salad is as delicious as it is easy, and it’s a great way to turn a classic taste of summer into something a little more sophisticated! What’s your favorite way to eat watermelon?
Tags: acacia hardwood, acacia wood, acacia wood bowl, Acaciaware, cheese and watermelon, easy recipe, easy summer recipe, fruit salad, Mason Cash, Mason Cash Bowl, Mason Cash Mixing Bowl, Mixing Bowl, Pacific Merchants, Pacific Merchants Blog, salad, salad bowl, salad with fruit, side for bbq, sides for barbecue, Summer, summer recipe, summer recipe with watermelon, unique salad, watermelon cheese, watermelon feta, watermelon salad