Halloween is upon us! Time to start decorating, if you haven’t already. This week at the Pacific Merchants blog we’ll be providing you lovely readers with three simple, creative, and fun DIY projects to make your October more Halloweeny for you and your family. These crafts do double duty as a fun activity for the whole family and great, seasonal decor, so get started early and enjoy these all month long. Ready? Let’s do this thing. Mummies. Kilner Jars. Tea Lights. Put them together, and what do you get? Mummy Lanterns. Heck yes. Set your eyes on one of our favorite Halloween Crafts. It’ll stare right back at you.
Read on for an easy, fun, festive tutorial on converting our lovely Kilner jars into your own friendly mummy lanterns. They make the best friends/pets ever; super low maintenance, and they don’t think twice about you talking to them for two hours straight. Plus you’ll be the coolest crafter on the block this Halloween season.
- -Rolled Gauze (Can find in first aid section of drug store)
- –Kilner Jars (Preserve, Clip Top, or Push Top)
- -Hot Glue Gun/Glue Sticks
- -Googly Craft Eyes
- -Flameless Tea Lights
2. Time to wrap these little guys. Place a few dabs of hot glue on the glass to fix the gauze in place. Watch out for your fingers! Hot glue guns/glue can be surprisingly painful. We don’t want to use any of that first aid gauze on you… If you’re doing this with kids, it might be wise to have adults take charge of the hot glue gun. Kids can still do all the wrapping once the gauze is glued in place.
3. Continue to wrap the jar in gauze, evenly or overlapping/folding if you want something chunkier. Make sure to fix the gauze down with a small bead of hot glue every once and a while and tighten the wrap on the gauze so it doesn’t unravel. If you plan on sealing the jars after (on either a preserve jar or a clip top jar), don’t cover the lip of the jar with gauze, else the cap won’t screw on or clip on.
4. Once you’re done wrapping the Kilner Jar, it’s time to googly-eye this mummy. I was so pleasantly surprised with the insane variety of googly craft eyes that are now available on the market (at Michael’s)…SO AWESOME. They have different color irises, eyelids, and even eyelashes, so you can fully customize your mummy to your hearts content.
Playing with the scale of your mummy faces is a great way to inject humor into this project; I love putting big eyes on small jars, and small eyes on larger jars. It just makes them total characters. But, it’s obviously up to you and your creative genius to figure out what your mummies look like.
6. Stick in a flameless tea light, and enjoy! We at Pacific Merchants strongly advocate flameless tealights/candles, as they’re more family/kid friendly. You can also close the Kilner jars without the fire going out, and they come in many different colors! Great option for dorm rooms, apartments, playrooms, or anywhere you don’t want/can’t have open flames.
Stay tuned for our Jar-O’-Lantern tutorial on Wednesday. Happy Monday, folks!
Tags: craft with mummy, diy halloween, halloween, halloween crafts, halloween decor, halloween decorations, halloween DIY, Halloween lights, halloween with kids, home decor, home improvement, kids halloween project, mummy craft